London (AFP) – Manchester United have been fined £20,000 (23,000 euros, $25,000) after accepting a Football Association (FA) charge of failing to control their players during Monday’s fractious FA Cup quarter-final at Chelsea.
United, who saw their hold on the trophy ended with a 1-0 defeat by the Premier League leaders, were punished for several of their players surrounding referee Michael Oliver and arguing with him over the sending off of Spanish midfielder Ander Herrera in the 35th minute.
Herrera was given his marching orders for a foul on Eden Hazard seconds after Oliver warned United captain Chris Smalling his patience had worn thin with continual fouls on Chelsea’s Belgian playmaker.
“Manchester United have been fined £20,000 after the club admitted an FA misconduct charge and accepted the standard penalty,” said an FA statement on Friday.
Herrera and United’s leading scorer Zlatan Ibrahimovic will miss the Premier League matches with struggling Middlesbrough on Sunday and against West Brom on April 1 because of suspension.
Ibrahimovic was banned after elbowing Bournemouth defender Tyrone Mings in the head in a 1-1 league draw at Old Trafford.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more