Karachi (AFP) – Brazil’s Ronaldinho, England’s David James and Dutch star George Boateng will be among seven top former players to feature in exhibition games in Pakistan in July, organizers said Thursday.
The games are part of plans to build on the “comfort zone” from the successful staging of the Pakistan Super League cricket final in Lahore earlier this month.
Pakistan had been mostly off limits for foreign sports teams since terrorist attacks on the Sri Lankan cricket team’s bus in 2009.
The former players are being brought to the country by the UK-based Leisure Leagues — organisers of 5, 6 and 7-a-side tournaments which recently announced plans to expand to Pakistan.
Ishaq Shah, chief operating officer of Leisure Leagues Pakistan, said the stars would play exhibition games alongside local players selected from Leisure Leagues in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad.
“There is no doubt the staging of the PSL has provided a comfort zone and the visit of these foreign stars will rebrand Pakistan as hub of sports,” said Shah, who did not name the other four foreign players.
Pakistan sporting greats including cricket’s Javed Miandad backed the plans, with Miandad saying he was honoured to be an ambassador for the league.
“Football is the most popular sport in the world and in my playing days I used to follow Newcastle United so once this game is popular in Pakistan people will forget cricket,” said Miandad, who promised a cricket lesson to Ronaldinho and the other foreign players.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Guardiola adamant winning Premier League harder than Champions League
- Klopp refuses to dream of stunning Premier League title triumph
- Berkane sink Pirates on penalties to maintain Moroccan dominance
- Ecuador World Cup spot at risk after potential ineligible player
- Real Madrid look to Liverpool after goalless draw with Real Betis
- McKennie back in US squad for June friendlies, Nations League
- FIFA to announce 2026 World Cup host cities in June
- Rangers seek Scottish Cup silver lining after Europa pain
- Rangnick to meet Ten Hag as Man Utd seek Europa League salvation
- EPL commentators on NBC: May 22