Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid striker Fernando Torres returned to training on Monday after recovering from a sickening head clash, suggesting he could play in Wednesday’s Champions League tie against Bayer Leverkusen.
Torres lost consciousness in a challenge with Deportivo la Coruna’s Alex Bergantinos in a 1-1 draw on March 2 but was later discharged from hospital with no serious injuries.
Despite rejoining his team-mates on the training pitch, the 32-year-old has yet to receive the all-clear from doctors though, the club indicated.
Atletico coach Diego Simeone last week said he believed Torres would be fit in time for the last 16 second leg at the Vicente Calderon, where Atletico will look to defend their 4-2 lead.
The forward came off the bench to score Atletico’s fourth goal in the first leg in Germany but has been sidelined for the team’s last two games in La Liga.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season