Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone believes Fernando Torres will be free to return from a sickening head clash in time for next week’s Champions League meeting with Bayer Leverkusen.
Torres lost consciousness in a challenge with Deportivo la Coruna’s Alex Bergantinos eight days ago, but thankfully he was released from hospital a day later with no serious injuries.
“He is in the recovery process and we imagine that for Wednesday he will be available,” said Simeone.
Atletico welcome Leverkusen to the Vicente Calderon boasting a 4-2 first-leg lead after Torres scored his side’s fourth in Germany two weeks ago.
Torres is not in the Atletico squad for Saturday’s La Liga trip to Granada.
French international Kevin Gameiro also misses out due to a minor abdominal strain.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season