Madrid (AFP) – Ukraine international Roman Zozulya on Thursday has given up on his planned transfer to Rayo Vallecano and will remain at Real Betis until the end of the season after being caught up in a ‘neo-Nazi’ row.
Zozulya, 27, spent just 24 hours on loan at the Madrid club last month before being recalled by Betis after Rayo fans greeted his arrival with banners reading: “Vallekas is not the place for Nazis.”
“Real Betis, Roman Zozulya and Rayo Vallecano have reached an agreement to end the contract between the three parties on the transfer of the player to Rayo Vallecano,” said the second-division Madrid club in a statement.
“Zozulya will train with Real Betis in the expectation of studying the different possibilities for the player to join another team.”
Zozulya has insisted he was “not linked to or a supporter of any paramilitary or neo-Nazi group.”
However, he did admit to “collaborating with the Ukrainian army to help protect his country.”
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ