Barcelona (AFP) – Five-time World Player of the Year Lionel Messi paid tribute on Thursday to Barcelona’s sensational Champions League comeback from a 4-0 first leg thrashing to beat Paris Saint Germain 6-1.
Messi scored Barca’s third goal from the penalty spot as the Spanish champions struck three times in the final two minutes plus stoppage time to qualify for the quarter-finals.
“When there’s effort, attitude and desire, NOTHING is impossible,” Messi posted on his official Facebook page.
“Impressive stuff from the team and our fans.”
In a rare sign of exuberance, Messi jumped into the crowd amid delirious scenes when Sergi Roberto grabbed Barca’s sixth and decisive goal in the 95th minute.
And the Argentine was penned in at the Camp Nou as he tried to leave hours after the game.
His partner Antonella Roccuzzo posted a video of the pair attempting to leave the stadium only to be held up by fans banging on the windows to chants of “Messi, Messi, Messi.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Real Madrid remain Europe’s most valuable football club: report
- Tearful Mourinho hails Conference League ‘history’ for Roma
- Mbappe’s rumored benefits allow too much power for one player
- Zaniolo fires Roma to Conference League triumph over Feyenoord
- Kompany ‘parts ways’ with Belgium’s Anderlecht
- FOX & fuboTV’s UEFA Nations League plans raise concerns
- Robertson urges Scotland to put sentiment aside in Ukraine play-off
- Klopp confident Thiago will be fit for Champions League final
- Salah staying at Liverpool ‘for sure’ next season as Mane hints at exit
- Tirana inhabitants brace for Conference League final after clashes