Manchester (United Kingdom) (AFP) – Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim sprang something of a surprise by handing a first Champions League start to 18-year-old Kylian Mbappe in Tuesday’s last 16 first-leg match at Manchester City.
Mbappe, whose 11 goals this season include two hat-tricks, replaced Valere Germain in one of four changes to the team that drew 1-1 with Bastia in Ligue 1 on Friday.
Andrea Raggi took over from the suspended Jemerson in central defence, while right-back Djibril Sidibe and central midfielder Fabinho returned in place of Almamy Traore and Joao Moutinho.
City manager Pep Guardiola picked his strongest available line-up after resting several players in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at second-tier Huddersfield Town in the FA Cup.
Willy Caballero came in for Claudio Bravo in goal and Sergio Aguero kept his place up front with City’s own teenage sensation, 19-year-old Gabriel Jesus, sidelined by a broken foot.
With Aleksandar Kolarov absent, reportedly due to injury, central midfielder Fernandinho looked set to start at left-back.
Manchester City (4-3-3): Willy Caballero; Bacary Sagna, John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi, Fernandinho; Kevin De Bruyne, Yaya Toure, David Silva (capt); Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero, Leroy Sane
Coach: Pep Guardiola (ESP)
Monaco (4-4-2): Danijel Subasic; Djibril Sidibe, Kamil Glik, Andrea Raggi, Benjamin Mendy; Bernardo Silva, Fabinho, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Thomas Lemar; Radamel Falcao (capt), Kylian Mbappe
Coach: Leonardo Jardim (POR)
Referee: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (ESP)
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- Where to find Puebla vs. América on US TV
- Where to find Hull City vs. Luton Town on US TV
- Iran national team stands in solidarity after nation erupts in turmoil
- USWNT roster announced ahead of October friendlies
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup