Berlin (AFP) – Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez was on target twice as Bayer Leverkusen warmed up for their Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid by winning 3-1 at Augsburg in the Bundesliga on Friday.
Roger Schmidt’s side went in front midway through the first half when Kai Havertz squared from the right for Karim Bellarabi to score the 50,000th goal in the history of the Bundesliga.
Chicharito doubled Leverkusen’s lead from close range after a lovely move inside the box five minutes before half-time, and after Dominik Kohr pulled a goal back on the hour, the Mexican striker netted again from another Havertz assist to secure the win.
Leverkusen are having an inconsistent season but a second consecutive win keeps them in touch in the fight for European places and boosts confidence ahead of their Champions League last 16, first leg at home to Atletico on Tuesday.
Chicharito scored the winner for Real Madrid when they eliminated Atletico in the quarter-finals of the Champions League in 2015.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ