London (AFP) – Manchester City full-back Bacary Sagna was charged with misconduct by the Football Association on Tuesday after appearing to criticise a referee in a social media post.
Sagna, 33, posted a picture on Instagram with the caption “10 against 12… but still fighting and winning as a team” after City’s 2-1 Premier League win over Burnley on January 2.
Referee Lee Mason sent off City midfielder Fernandinho in the game and despite Sagna amending the post to remove the “10 against 12” part, he could not escape an FA charge.
“Bacary Sagna has been charged for misconduct contrary to FA Rule E3 (1),” the FA said in a statement.
The FA alleges Sagna’s post “questioned the integrity of the match official and/or alleged and/or implied bias on the part of the match official, and/or brought the game into disrepute”.
The France international has until 1800 GMT on Friday to respond to the charge.
Fernandinho was dismissed in the 32nd minute for a two-footed challenge on Burnley winger Johann Berg Gudmundsson.
City had an appeal against the decision rejected, leaving the Brazil international to serve a four-match suspension following his third red card of the season.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal
- Where to find Rangers vs. PSV Eindhoven on US TV
- Where to find LAFC vs. DC United on US TV
- Where to find PSG vs. Manchester United on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Barcelona on US TV
- Vlahovic double sinks Sassuolo, Osimhen abused in Verona rout