London (AFP) – Benin international striker Rudy Gestede signed for Premier League strugglers Middlesbrough on Wednesday from Championship outfit Aston Villa for a reported fee of £6 million (7m euros, $7.4m).
The 28-year-old — who began his spell in the English leagues with Cardiff in 2011 — signed a three-year contract with Middlesbrough and his arrival should presage the departure of fellow strikers Jordan Rhodes, a former Blackburn team-mate, and veteran David Nugent.
Neither have been able to command a first team spot this season despite the team struggling for goals, scoring just 17 in 20 matches and hovering four points above the relegation zone.
“Boro have completed the signing of Rudy Gestede from Aston Villa for an undisclosed fee,” read a statement on the Middlesbrough website.
The France-born striker failed to fire in his time at Villa, scoring just five times in 24 Premier League matches last term as they were relegated.
This season the former France Under-19 international had found the net four times in 19 appearances, but fell out of favour when Steve Bruce replaced Roberto di Matteo at the helm.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming
- Sterling could not waste peak years at Man City on the bench
- Africa Super League: What we know and don’t know
- Youri Tielemans to Arsenal more likely with Lokonga loan
- Frankfurt’s Kostic arrives in Turin for Juventus medical
- Elliott signs new long-term Liverpool deal
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX