Glasgow (AFP) – Scottish police are investigating more than 100 reports of child sex abuse in football, authorities said on Thursday, as British football confronts one of the biggest scandals in its history.
A string of ex-footballers, including former England internationals, have come forward in the past month alleging they were the victims of sex abuse when they were youth players.
Police forces across Britain are looking into the allegations that have rocked football.
“We’ve received 109 referrals which relate to child sexual abuse within football,” Chief Constable Phil Gormley told a Scottish Police Authority meeting.
“Specialist officers from the national child abuse investigation unit are assessing the information coming into us and determining the most appropriate response.”
Underlining the scale of the inquiry in Britain, a telephone hotline dedicated to helping those affected by the abuse has received 1,767 calls in three weeks.
The number was set up by child protection charity the NSPCC and the English Football Association after former player Andy Woodward told the Guardian newspaper about the abuse he suffered as a boy in Crewe’s youth academy, prompting other former players to step forward.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- ‘Game-changer’ Bynoe-Gittens propels Dortmund to comeback win over Freiburg
- Osasuna stun Sevilla in Liga opener
- Ismaily strikes late to rescue Ligue 1 draw for Lille
- Barcelona finally register Lewandowski on eve of new season
- English teen Bynoe-Gittens propels Dortmund to 3-1 comeback win over Freiburg
- Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats
- Seven-time winner Messi misses out on Ballon d’Or nomination
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge