London (AFP) – An English court on Wednesday ordered former football coach Barry Bennell to be held in custody over eight child sex offences on one victim.
The 62-year-old former Crewe Alexandra youth coach appeared by video-link before Crewe magistrates court in northwest England and was ordered to appear before Chester Crown Court on January 11.
All of the alleged offences happened between 1981 and 1985 when the victim was under the age of 15.
Bennell, grey-haired and wearing a blue jumper, spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address, which was given as no fixed address.
The former coach at Crewe — who are in League Two the fourth tier of English football — sat with his arms crossed as the eight charges were read to the court.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season