Madrid (AFP) – Atletico Madrid’s feint hopes of challenging for the La Liga title evaporated as they fell to sixth, 12 points adrift of leaders Real Madrid, with a 3-0 defeat at Villarreal on Monday.
The hosts capitalised on rare defensive errors from Atletico to go 2-0 up before half-time thanks to goals from Manu Trigueros and Jonathan dos Santos.
Roberto Soriano secured the three points in stoppage time as victory lifts Villarreal a point above Atletico and up into fourth place.
Atletico were also hit by injuries to goalkeeper Jan Oblak and midfielder Tiago as both had to be replaced before the break.
Villarreal were fresh from sealing their place in the last 32 of the Europa League on Thursday, where they will face Roma, and started brightly despite taking just one point from their last three La Liga matches.
Stefan Savic had to head clear off his own line from a dos Santos volley after Oblak rushed from his goal to punch a dangerous cross.
Atletico will rue not taking their chances to go in front as a fierce drive from Angel Correa was turned behind at his near post by Sergio Asenjo before Koke’s deflected shot from the resulting corner came back off the post.
A slack pass from Tiago to Diego Godin teed up Villarreal for the opener on 28 minutes as Trigueros latched onto the loose ball before firing low past the helpless Oblak.
Tiago was replaced whilst Villarreal were still celebrating with a right knee problem.
Antoine Griezmann was voted the third best player in the world for 2016 before kick-off as Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo won the Ballon d’Or.
Yet a year of big disappointments for the Frenchman after defeat in the Champions League and Euro 2016 finals is ending on another low as he was held scoreless for an eighth consecutive La Liga game.
Griezmann had a big chance to equalise for Atletico when he raced through on Asenjo, but on his weaker right foot his shot wasn’t accurate enough to beat the goalkeeper.
Moments later it was 2-0 thanks to a rare slip from Oblak.
The Slovenian dislocated his shoulder after dropping a simple cross and dos Santos was on hand to prod into an empty net from close range.
Kevin Gameiro had a chance at the start of the second period to get Atletico back into the game, but Asenjo made another brave block.
And an awful night for Atletico was rounded off in stoppage time when Soriano found the far corner for Villarreal’s third.
Special Introductory Offer
- Starting price: $10/mo. for Sling Orange+Blue
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & Olympics
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FOX, FS1, FS2 and NBCSN
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Euro 2020, Copa America, Gold Cup & MLS
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more