Rome (AFP) – The 2019 European under-21 Championship will be held in Italy and San Marino, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) announced on Friday.
The 12-team tournament, which will serve as Europe’s qualifying competition for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, will see matches played in four Italian towns — Bologna, Cesena, Reggio Emilia and Udine — as well as in the tiny republic of San Marino.
UEFA said the tournament is “likely to be played in June 2019”.
Italy has won the most European titles at under-21 level — five — but has never hosted the finals.
The 2017 competition in Poland will be the first to feature 12 countries, expanded from the old format of eight teams.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season