Leverkusen (Germany) (AFP) – Bayer Leverkusen earned a first Champions League win over Monaco at the sixth attempt on Wednesday, sealing a 3-0 victory with both sides already through to the knock-out stages.
A first-half strike from Vladlen Yurchenko, a well-worked goal by Germany winger Julian Brandt and a late own goal by Monaco goalkeeper Morgan de Sanctis sealed the win at the BayArena.
Regardless of the result, Monaco progress as Group E winners, a point ahead of Bayer, who are in the last 16 at the expense of Tottenham Hotspur.
Leverkusen took a deserved lead on the half hour mark thanks to Yurchenko’s superb curling long-range shot from just outside the area.
It was the 22-year-old Ukrainian’s first appearance of the season having suffered a hairline leg fracture in September.
Leverkusen doubled their lead three minutes after the break.
Brandt finished off a flowing move as he floated his shot over De Sanctis after being played into area by Hakan Calhanoglu.
Australian winger Robbie Kruse came off the bench to win a penalty for Leverkusen when he was fouled in the area.
Brazilian left-back Wendell hit the crossbar with the spot kick, but the ball bounced in to the net off De Sanctis on 82 minutes.
It was a bit of luck for Leverkusen, who had failed to convert all four penalties awarded in the Bundesliga this season.
Leverkusen finish the group stages unbeaten with two wins and four draws.
This was the first time French league side Monaco have lost to Leverkusen after three wins and two draws in previous meetings.
The Germans avenged their 1-1 at Monaco in September when they were denied victory when Kamil Glik equalised for the hosts in the 94th-minute.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- FOX Sports to feature US Soccer float in Macy’s Parade
- FOX says US-England could rank in top 5 biggest games ever
- Umbro’s USA away kit better than Nike’s World Cup effort
- Man City vs Man United: TV coverage details
- Potter magic seals first league win as Chelsea boss
- Bundesliga in talks with private equity firms to sell media rights
- Gareth Bale debuts own craft beer ahead of World Cup
- Arsenal extend Adidas kit deal until 2030 on eve of derby win
- Where to find Crystal Palace vs. Chelsea on US TV
- Where to find Liverpool vs. Brighton on US TV