Brussels (AFP) – The Belgian league clash between Charleroi and Standard Liege was abandoned on Sunday after firecrackers and cigarette lighters were thrown by fans of the bitter rivals.
Standard were leading 3-1 when the game was called off in the 67th minute, having already been halted twice.
Lighters and firecrackers were thrown at Charleroi goalkeeper Nicolas Penneteau, which led to Standard’s coach and players making a public appeal for calm via the stadium speakers.
Then, Standard goalkeeper Guillaume Hubert was targeted by a beer glass and flare leading to the game being called off.
On Saturday, the French top-flight clash between Metz and Lyon was also halted when Lyon goalkeeper Anthony Lopes was hit by a firecracker.
The match was abandoned after just 31 minutes with Portuguese international Lopes requiring hospital treatment for damaged hearing.
Metz, leading 1-0 when play was halted, face the risk of heavy sanctions which could include forfeiting the match and Lyon being awarded the win.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ