Istanbul (AFP) – Portugal’s Benfica must wait on a place in the last 16 of the Champions League after they squandered a three-goal lead to draw 3-3 at Turkey’s Besiktas on Wednesday.
The Portuguese cruised into a 3-0 lead inside barely half an hour but were pegged back as the Turks maintained their unbeaten record with two goals in the final seven minutes, including a penalty by former Sporting Lisbon and Porto man Ricardo Quaresma.
The draw means the Eagles, European champions in 1961 and 1962, are still just a point clear of Besiktas with one match to go as they joust for top spot in Group B.
Benfica’s late collapse meant Italian rivals Napoli could go two points clear with a win later Wednesday at home to bottom side Dynamo Kiev.
Besiktas supporters, having already established a world crowd noise record of 132 decibels at their Istanbul home, this time held what they dubbed the world’s first ‘silent cheer’ (#silentcheer), deploying sign language to raise awareness against racism and for the hard of hearing.
The Besiktas fans soon found they had little to cheer in an opening half which saw Benfica sweep them away.
Vincent Aboubakar had a goal chalked off for offside for the Turks on four minutes before Benfica took the lead on nine minutes with Gonzalo Guedes finishing off a flowing move, Eduardo Salvio providing the assist.
On the half hour it was 2-0 to the visitors, as Nelson Semedo netted with a thumping left-footed shot. Almost straight from the restart, Ljubomir Fejsa bagged another after former Fulham misfit Kostas Mitroglou and Salvio had first hit the woodwork to rub in early Portuguese superiority.
Besiktas recovered their poise after the break and Cenk Tosun pulled a goal back on the hour after Mitroglou had squandered a chance at the other end.
A Victor Lindelof handball gave Quaresma the chance to pull it back to 3-2 before Abdoubakar finally had his reward as Quaresma picked him out for an unerring left-footed drive, the scorer earning a booking for a wild celebration amid deafening cheers on the terraces.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ