This past week, I did something I haven’t done in 30 years. I played a game of Subbuteo.
The last time I played the table soccer game, I had bought a set from Toys R Us in the 1980s. In that game, my cousin and I picked up the generic red and blue teams that came with the set, and played the game across the green cloth pitch on the carpet in my apartment. That feels like a lifetime ago. So much has changed in my life and around the world since then.
But when I was invited to attend a night of Subbuteo with local soccer fans at a nearby brewery this past week, the memories came flooding back of spending countless hours playing the game when I was even younger, as a child and young teen in Wales. Back then, my friends and cousin had literally played the game for hundreds of hours over countless summers and winter holidays.
When I drove to the local brewery to join in a night of Subbuteo, I didn’t know what to expect. Nor did I know whether I remembered the rules of play. But within two minutes of playing a practice match against Pat O’Brien, the organizer of his Garage Soccer events that feature Subbuteo events across South Florida, I had nothing to worry about. I was hooked. Once again.
The concept of Garage Soccer is to bring together soccer fans throughout South Florida for a fun night out at a local brewery to play Subbuteo. There’s no membership fee, and it’s free to play. While soccer video games are enjoyable, Subbuteo is more of a purer form of soccer. There’s plenty of tactics, just like in the real game. Sure, there’s plenty of skills required, too, but the game is easy to pick up and understand. Plus, most importantly, it’s fun.
Playing Subbuteo with Garage Soccer, there’s the added bonus of bring able to drink your favorite craft beer (or as my preference, cider). It’s also a great opportunity to meet new people and talk about soccer with like-minded friends.
If you’ve never played Subbuteo before, it’s easy and fun to play.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold
- Son Heung-min’s ‘joyous’ Golden Boot hailed by S.Korea president
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies