Los Angeles (AFP) – Goalkeeper Tim Howard has been officially ruled out of the United States’ 2018 World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica in San Jose on Tuesday with a right adductor muscle injury.
“He has returned to Colorado for further evaluation and to determine treatment plans,” US Soccer said in a statement confirming the diagnosis on Sunday.
Howard was hurt while taking a goal kick in a 2-1 qualifying defeat to Mexico on Friday in Columbus, Ohio.
Brad Guzan, who replaced Howard in the 40th minute is expected to get the start against Costa Rica.
US coach Jurgen Klinsmann had already indicated on Friday that Howard was unlikely to travel to Costa Rica.
In confirming the news, US Soccer didn’t offer a time frame for Howard’s recovery. It could also have MLS Cup playoff implications, with Howard’s Colorado Rapids due to face the Seattle Sounders in the Western Conference finals home and away tie later in November.
30+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes TUDN, GolTV, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more