Los Angeles (AFP) – Goalkeeper Tim Howard has been officially ruled out of the United States’ 2018 World Cup qualifier against Costa Rica in San Jose on Tuesday with a right adductor muscle injury.
“He has returned to Colorado for further evaluation and to determine treatment plans,” US Soccer said in a statement confirming the diagnosis on Sunday.
Howard was hurt while taking a goal kick in a 2-1 qualifying defeat to Mexico on Friday in Columbus, Ohio.
Brad Guzan, who replaced Howard in the 40th minute is expected to get the start against Costa Rica.
US coach Jurgen Klinsmann had already indicated on Friday that Howard was unlikely to travel to Costa Rica.
In confirming the news, US Soccer didn’t offer a time frame for Howard’s recovery. It could also have MLS Cup playoff implications, with Howard’s Colorado Rapids due to face the Seattle Sounders in the Western Conference finals home and away tie later in November.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Premier League’s most underrated XI in the 2021/22 season
- Marseille secure Champions League place as Bordeaux go down
- RB Leipzig win first German Cup trophy
- Ten-man RB Leipzig win German Cup final on penalties
- La Rochelle boost Top 14 play-off hopes ahead of Euro final
- Fiorentina beat Juve to reach Conference League, Atalanta out of Europe
- ‘Very happy’ Mbappe snubs Real Madrid to stay at PSG
- Lyon beat Barca to claim eighth Women’s Champions League
- Which countries are FIFA World Cup rivals?
- Rangers lift Scottish Cup trophy after Europa League heartache