Glasgow (AFP) – Controversial midfielder Joey Barton can return to training with Rangers after a nearly two-month exile following a bust-up, the Scottish team said on Wednesday, but his short time with the club looks over.
The 34-year-old Englishman, who has a woeful disciplinary record, was banished from Rangers after a training ground dispute in mid-September with manager Mark Warburton.
He will be allowed back to train but seems unlikely to get another game with the Scottish giants and probably will be allowed to leave during the January transfer window.
“Joey Barton has been told he will return to full-time training following the conclusion of a disciplinary procedure,” the club said in a statement.
“The management team will inform the player of appropriate training arrangements to which he must adhere for as long as he remains a Rangers player.
“Neither the club nor the player will comment further.”
Barton, capped once by England, is also in the sights of the Scottish Football Association (SFA), who accuse him of placing 44 bets between July 1 and September 15.
Betting on football matches by players is strictly forbidden by the SFA and Barton could face a ban if it is proven he placed the bets.
Barton signed a two-year contract with Rangers in May following their promotion to the Scottish Premiership.
In newspaper interviews conducted in September, largely to promote his book, he expressed regret over moving to Scotland.
“Reflecting on it, would I have made the same decision? Probably not,” he told the Guardian.
Barton previously played for Manchester City, Newcastle United, Queens Park Rangers and Marseille, and for Burnley before the ill-fated move to Rangers.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Former Bayern boss Kovac to coach Wolfsburg
- Ancelotti ‘respects’ Mbappe decision, says Real Madrid focused on final
- UK police to take no action after Vieira ‘kick’ at Everton fan
- West Ham’s Kurt Zouma pleads guilty to kicking pet cat
- Top-tier Chongqing latest Chinese football club to fold
- Son Heung-min’s ‘joyous’ Golden Boot hailed by S.Korea president
- Man Utd need ‘major surgery’ under Ten Hag – Dwight Yorke
- Xavi says Barcelona need rebuild but silent on Lewandowski
- Roma and Feyenoord hoping to turn the corner in Conference League final
- Chelsea tickets on sale for U.S. friendlies