Sunderland boss Moyes gets touchline ban
London (AFP) – Sunderland manager David Moyes will serve a one-match touchline ban when his struggling side travel to Bournemouth in the Premier League on Saturday after he admitted to a Football Association misconduct charge on Tuesday.
Moyes was ordered off the touchline during Wednesday’s 1-0 League Cup fourth-round loss away to Southampton.
The former Everton and Manchester United manager was sent to the stands after complaining about a decision by referee Chris Kavanagh not to award a late penalty when Maya Yoshida appeared to trip Victor Anichebe in the box.
Scottish boss Moyes said afterwards he had had been dismissed for swearing at fourth official James Adcock.
Moyes, whose side are bottom of the Premier League table and are without a win in 10 games, chose not to appeal against the charge and the ensuing punishment, with the ban accompanied by an £8,000 ($9,793, 8,855 euros) fine.
“David Moyes will serve an immediate one-match touchline ban after he admitted using abusive and/or insulting words towards a match official and accepted the standard penalty,” said an FA statement.
“The incident happened in or around the 90th minute of Sunderland’s EFL Cup fixture at Southampton on 26 October 2016.
“As well as the suspension, the standard penalty for this breach of FA Rule E3 also includes an £8,000 fine.”
After Wednesday’s match, Moyes said: “I was sent off for leaving my box and swearing at the fourth official.
“The problem was he chased me down the touchline. I swore at him and I shouldn’t have done so I deserved to be sent off.”
Moyes was adamant Sunderland should have had a penalty, adding: “When you see it again it’s a stonewaller, no question.
“Inside the box Yoshida fouls Victor, he comes across him, and it should have been a definite penalty awarded.”