Rio de Janeiro (AFP) – Hundreds of people including Brazilian football greats gathered Wednesday at a Rio de Janeiro cemetery to pay their last respects to “eternal captain” Carlos Alberto, skipper of the 1970 World Cup champions.
Crowds of fans decked out in Brazilian yellow and green swarmed Carlos Alberto’s casket as it was carried into Iraja cemetery, in a working-class neighborhood on the city’s north side.
Carlos Alberto, who led a legendary team including Pele to the 1970 World Cup and scored one of the competition’s best-ever goals, died Tuesday of a heart attack. He was 72.
After a 12-hour wake at the headquarters of the Brazilian Football Confederation, his coffin — draped in a Brazilian flag and covered in flowers — was loaded onto a fire engine and transported to the cemetery, where more than 300 fans were waiting.
“Rest in peace, captain,” said a large sign held up by one mourner dressed in the colors of Fluminense, the Rio club where Carlos Alberto launched his career.
The national anthem was played as the casket arrived, concluding with a long salvo of applause.
The burial brought together fans with family members and football greats such as Cafu — who, like Carlos Alberto, was a right-back and captain of a World Cup-winning squad, in 2002.
“He was our eternal captain, he was our reference, on and off the pitch,” Cafu told Brazilian news site UOL, calling him “one of the best of all time.”
Carlos Alberto’s son Alexandre Torres wore a Brazil jersey with a photo of his father celebrating his iconic goal in the World Cup final against Italy in Mexico City in 1970 — the one that sealed Brazil’s 4-1 win and third world title.
Also at the wake were Brito, Carlos Alberto’s teammate from the 1970 squad, and Tite, the current coach of Brazil.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family