Beijing (AFP) – Former World Cup-winning coach Marcello Lippi has been named to lead China’s national side following the resignation of Gao Hongbo, the Chinese Football Association announced Saturday.
The appointment comes after World Cup qualifying losses by the men’s team to Syria and Uzbekistan left the Asian giant with virtually no chance of qualifying for Russia 2018.
Lippi travelled to Beijing to accept an official offer for the post, according to a statement on the CFA’s web site.
The decision was made “according to the CFA’s coach selection and hiring process and through friendly consultations on both sides”, it said.
The announcement follows rumours earlier in the week that the Italian maestro would take over the struggling squad.
Former China coach Gao resigned on October 11 following a 2-0 World Cup qualifying defeat to Uzbekistan, leaving the team with almost no window to qualify for the event.
Sitting a lowly 78th in FIFA’s rankings, China have claimed just one point from four games and dropped to bottom place in a Group A which includes Iran, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Syria and Qatar.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future