London (AFP) – England goalkeeper Joe Hart expects Slovenia to push the side hard when the teams meet in a 2018 World Cup qualifier in Ljubljana on Tuesday.
Victories over Slovakia and Malta have propelled England to the top of Group F.
But Hart is taking nothing for granted given Slovenia were the only side to score against him during England’s largely untroubled run in qualifying for Euro 2016.
England’s 3-1 comeback win was followed by a 3-2 success in Slovenia and Hart said Monday: “It was probably our toughest two games of the group, especially at Wembley. They took the lead and it took us a while to get back into it. It was one of those tough internationals.”
Hart, on loan to Italian side Torino from Premier League club Manchester City, added: “I think we then played them in mid-June and Jack (Wilshere) had an amazing game and scored two fantastic goals.
“We ended up really needing Wazza’s (Wayne Rooney) cool, calm head to stick the ball away.
“It was a really good win for us and a really good game. We expect the same sort of game on Tuesday night.
“I played against one of their players last Sunday for Fiorentina, Josip Ilicic. He is a strong player with a good left foot.
“They have got some good players and they work well as a group. They have got a fantastic keeper so they are going to be good.”
England captain Rooney trained as normal with the squad on Monday amid speculation he could be dropped by interim manager Gareth Southgate.
Rooney, 30, England’s all-time leading goalscorer, was booed by some home fans during the 2-0 win over Malta on Saturday and former national team captain Alan Shearer has led calls for him to be dropped.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Muscat shrugs off Iniesta threat as Asian Champions League returns
- USMNT World Cup kits real or fake? Combing through the clues
- Brighton sign Ecuador’s Estupinan from Villarreal
- PSV rescue Rangers draw as Obispo spares Benitez’s blushes in Champions League play-offs
- Ex-Man Utd star Giggs admits to lifelong infidelity in court testimony
- Our 6 way-too-early reactions to 2022/23 Premier League season
- Van Dijk says Nunez must ‘control himself’ after Liverpool red card
- Man City complete signing of Spanish defender Gomez
- International efforts needed to understand sport’s dementia risk: report
- ‘Very special’: English teenager Bynoe-Gittens extends Dortmund deal