Berlin (AFP) – Misfiring striker Mario Gomez is out of Germany’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Northern Ireland with injury, German football officials said on Tuesday.
The 31-year-old Wolfsburg player has a buttock injury and will not travel to Hamburg, where Germany will host the Czech Republic on Saturday before taking on Northern Ireland on Tuesday in Hanover.
Coach Joachim Loew will not draft in a replacement for Gomez, the German Football Association (DFB) said.
Gomez, who has hit 29 goals in 68 internationals for Germany, has so far failed to score in 450 minutes of Bundesliga action since joining Wolfsburg from Fiorentina in August for seven million euros ($7.8m).
The Germans top Group C after one game — a 3-0 win at Norway. Also in the group are Azerbaijan and San Marino.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Qatar’s ground control on alert for World Cup disasters
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV
- Tottenham’s Premier League title credentials face Chelsea test
- Removing ‘camouflage,’ Brazil football referee comes out
- Wolfsburg’s Kovac returns to Bayern Munich with a point to prove
- Berlusconi’s Monza aiming high ahead of debut Serie A campaign
- Sling is your ticket to the best of PSG starring Messi, Neymar and Mbappe
- FIFA officially advances World Cup by a day for Qatar
- Telemundo World Cup studio talent for Qatar announced
- How Paramount+ can improve its soccer streaming