London (AFP) – Former Manchester United and Scotland striker David Herd has died at the age of 82, his old club announced Sunday.
Herd played a key role in United’s revival following the 1958 Munich air disaster and scored twice in their 3-1 win over Leicester in the 1963 FA Cup final.
He also helped United win the English league title in 1965 and 1967.
Herd, who previously played for Arsenal, scored 145 goals for United.
He left United for Stoke a month after they won the European Cup against Benfica in 1968, a success in which he played little part having suffered a broken leg the year before.
United and Stoke were involved in a Premier League match on Sunday, with players from both clubs wearing black armbands as a mark of respect to Herd.
“Everybody at Manchester United is saddened to hear of the passing of David Herd,” the club posted on manutd.com.
“We can confirm that both United and Stoke will wear black armbands this afternoon to pay tribute to David Herd, who played for both clubs.”
Herd’s former United team-mate Paddy Crerand tweeted: “Sad news about my old team mate David Herd. Great player made my ordinary passes into him great ones. Tremendous shot and strength.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Plea penalty sends Gladbach top in Germany
- Tete double helps Lyon ease past Troyes
- Man Utd agree to sign Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro
- Chelsea boss Tuchel given one-game ban after Spurs red card
- Man Utd icon Ferguson lauds Giggs’ temperament’ at assault trial
- EPL commentators on NBC: Aug. 20 to 22
- CBS renews UEFA Champions League rights through 2029/30
- Ten Hag demands attitude change from Man Utd
- Dortmund chairman rules out move for Cristiano Ronaldo
- Injured Kante sidelined for several weeks: Tuchel