London (AFP) – Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has admitted for the first time he would be willing to manage England in the future if he had no club commitments.
Wenger has been linked with the England job following the Football Association’s decision to part company with Sam Allardyce on Tuesday.
Allardyce’s self-inflicted exit after his controversial comments to undercover reporters has left the FA searching for a new boss and they have appointed England Under-21 coach Gareth Southgate as interim manager to buy them time.
Southgate will pick the team for England’s remaining four matches this year and could be persuaded to remain in charge until the end of the season if there was a chance to hire a top-class boss like Wenger.
The Frenchman’s contract with Arsenal expires at the end of the current campaign and there has been no confirmation yet of whether the 67-year-old will sign a new deal with the north Londoners.
Quizzed about the England job at a press conference on Friday, Wenger said: “My priority is to do well here. If I am free one day, why not?”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Casemiro wants to leave Real Madrid as Man Utd close in
- Man Utd crisis is no help to Liverpool, says Klopp
- Gibbs-White becomes Nottingham Forest’s 16th summer signing
- BG Pathum end Kitchee’s Asian Champions League dream
- Man Utd closing in on Real Madrid’s Casemiro – reports
- Where to find LA Galaxy vs. Seattle Sounders on US TV
- Where to find Norwich City vs. Millwall on US TV
- Indian women footballers face uncertain future after FIFA ban
- Napoli on the up after hot start, big transfer deals
- Werner says Leipzig can still ‘annoy’ Bayern despite early season stumbles