Madrid (AFP) – Antoine Griezmann was Atletico Madrid’s hero once more with the winner as last season’s Champions League finalists moved third in La Liga with a 1-0 win over 10-man Deportivo la Coruna.
However, the hosts’ victory was overshadowed by an anterior cruciate ligament injury suffered by midfielder Augusto Fernandez before half-time that will keep him out for much of the remainder of the season.
Jose Maria Gimenez also had to be replaced in the first half with a groin injury and is set to miss Wendesday’s huge Champions League clash with Bayern Munich.
Moroccan winger Faycal Fajr undid a fine opening 45 minutes for the visitors on Sunday when he picked up two quickfire yellow cards just before the break.
Atletico passed up a host of chances in the second half, but finally made the breakthrough 20 minutes from time when Griezmann tapped home his fifth goal of the season.
Diego Simeone’s men now trail leaders Real Madrid by just two points and move to within a point of Barcelona.
“It is not good news, especially Augusto’s injury, but the doctors can explain it better than me,” said Atletico coach Simeone.
Atletico were the only side in Champions League action this week to play on Sunday, but Simeone insisted that would be no excuse against Bayern.
“Now they need a big bowl of pasta, a good flan and to sleep well,” added the Argentine.
“We’ll have a recovery session tomorrow and train well again on Tuesday. They have to sleep very well because they have to play on Wednesday at 2045 (1845MGT) and come what may there will be no excuses.”
Griezmann had the hosts’ best chance of a first half disrupted by the injuries to Fernandez and Gimenez when he slotted wide from Angel Correa’s cross.
Fajr eased Atletico’s route to victory when he dived in late on Nicolas Gaitan in first-half stoppage time to leave Deportivo with 10 men.
The visitors still had a great chance to take a shock lead at the start of the second period when Lucas Hernandez headed clear from under his own crossbar with Florin Andone waiting to turn the ball home.
Yannick Carrasco and Correa then saw great chances saved by German Lux, while Filipe Luis fired just wide as the chances began to flow for Atletico.
However, it took until 20 minutes from time for the goal to come as substitute Kevin Gameiro latched onto Juanfran’s pass and his low cross was turned home by his French international teammate Griezmann.
Earlier, Valencia’s upturn under caretaker coach Voro continued as they came from behind to beat Leganes 2-1, but were grateful once more to Brazilian goalkeeper Diego Alves’s fantastic record of saving penalties.
Alexander Szymanowski headed the hosts into the lead, but Nani levelled with his first Valencia goal 10 minutes before half-time.
Nani’s cross was turned home by Mario Suarez to put Valencia in front.
However, Szymanowski had the chance to give Leganes a deserved share of the points when Alves upended Alberto Martin half an hour from time.
Yet Alves produced his 20th save from 43 penalties he’s faced in Spanish football to ensure Valencia’s second win in four days.
Voro has now won eight of the 10 games he has taken charge of in four caretaker spells.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family