Monaco (AFP) – Striker Radamel Falcao left hospital on Thursday after staying overnight for a head injury caused by what his Monaco coach branded a “rugby tackle” in the 4-0 Ligue 1 defeat to Nice.
Falcao took a heavy knock to the head when he was caught in a sandwich between goalkeeper Yoan Cardinale and defender Paul Baysse on Wednesday.
The Colombian international had been chasing a bouncing ball which Cardinale punched clear from just inside his area.
Falcao, 30, did not reappear for the second half and was later taken to a Monte Carlo hospital for scans on his head and chest.
A member of Monaco’s medical staff told AFP that the scans had shown “no problems”.
Falcao, who rose to fame at Atletico Madrid, may still miss this Saturday’s Ligue 1 clash with Angers but should return to face Bayer Leverkusen in the Champions League on Tuesday.
Even so, Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim was left fuming.
“In most places in Europe that’s a red card,” he said.
“Referees should make sure that in these kind of situations there is proper punishment. It was like a rugby tackle.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season