Barcelona (AFP) – Barcelona coach Luis Enrique insists Neymar’s skills should be enjoyed rather than criticised after the Brazilian’s penchant for showboating once again came under the spotlight.
Former Barca and Real Madrid midfielder Michael Laudrup controversially slammed Neymar for displaying his full range of tricks towards the end of Barca’s 5-1 thrashing of newly promoted Leganes on Saturday.
“Ney has his own style, a style I think is spectacular for football. We enjoy it a lot at Barcelona,” Enrique said on the eve of Barca’s blockbuster La Liga clash with Atletico Madrid on Wednesday.
“There are many players that interpret football like that. It is a cultural thing more common in South American and particularly Brazilian players,” added Enrique.
“It is something that shouldn’t surprise anyone in Spanish football. He has been doing it since he got here.”
Neymar’s style has led to bad-tempered clashes with Atletico in the past. However, Atletico boss Diego Simeone claimed he is a big admirer of the 24-year-old.
“Everybody has their own style and way of playing. He is a player that I love,” said Simeone on Tuesday.
“They have criticised him, but he enjoys himself, he dances, he sings and he destroys you. They can keep criticising, but he keeps responding as he has to.”
Both sides come into the game in free-scoring form after scoring five at the weekend. However, Enrique believes Atletico will revert to type when they travel to the Camp Nou and rely on their watertight defence to try and hold out against Neymar, Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez.
“Many teams now defend deep against Atletico and give them the ball, so they are obliged to play more in tight spaces. I don’t expect that against us,” said Enrique.
“They can press high or, without doubt, they are the best team at defending close to their own area. That explains the complexities in playing against Atletico Madrid.
“They are one of the best teams in La Liga and clearly a contender for all the titles as always in Simeone’s reign.”
Barca’s two wins over Atletico in La Liga last season proved decisive in the title race as Simeone’s men finished just three points adrift of the champions in third. However, Atletico had their revenge by eliminating Barca in the Champions League for the second time in three years.
“There hasn’t been an easy game against Atletico Madrid in the past few years,” added Enrique.
“They are a direct title rival and these are three very important points.”
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Vela, Ruidiaz lift MLS All-Stars to 2-1 win over Liga MX
- Six new faces to watch in Serie A
- Barcelona sell off assets to make signings in attempt to restore glory days
- Germany 2022 World Cup Kits leaked
- Rivals jostle for Milan’s Serie A crown
- Brazil against replaying abandoned Argentina World Cup qualifier
- Real Madrid defeat Eintracht Frankfurt to win fifth UEFA Super Cup
- Silva says Man City know what he wants amid Barcelona links
- Zamalek president jailed for insulting rival
- Peacock TV wishlist of improvements to enhance streaming service