Milan (AFP) – Highly rated Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly signed a five-year contract extension on Monday that ties him to the Serie A club until 2021, president Aurelio De Laurentiis said.
English giants Chelsea were among the clubs trying to lure the powerful and versatile centre-back away from the San Paolo this summer, with reports claiming Napoli had rejected a 50-million-euro Blues offer for the French-born Senegalese international.
Koulibaly is now set to remain with the league runners-up, who began their Champions League campaign with a 2-1 win away to Dynamo Kiev, for the foreseeable future after he put pen to paper on a new, five-year deal.
“I’m happy to announce that Kalidou Koulibaly has renewed his contract with Napoli until 2021,” said a statement on Twitter by Napoli’s film producer owner and president De Laurentiis.
Napoli sit top of Serie A with 10 points, one ahead of champions Juventus, after four games.
Napoli travel to Genoa on Wednesday, when Juventus host Cagliari in Turin.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours
- Struggling Barcelona sign 100-mn-euro digital deal
- Liverpool will not panic buy despite Thiago injury blow, says Klopp
- Surprise date-change overshadows World Cup 100-day countdown
- Qatar’s ground control on alert for World Cup disasters
- Where to find Osasuna vs. Sevilla on US TV