Connect with us

Leagues: Champions League

Tottenham Champions League game bumped to FOX Soccer Plus

spurs-monaco

For viewers in the United States, Tottenham’s opening match in the UEFA Champions League scheduled for today has been moved at the last minute from FOX Sports Net to FOX Soccer Plus.

The reason for the change is two-fold. First, yesterday’s postponed match between Manchester City and Borussia Monchengladbach has been rescheduled for 2:45pm ET today. Instead of keeping with the original TV schedule of Spurs against Monaco on FOX Sports Net, FOX Sports decided to bump the Spurs match to FOX Soccer Plus and show Manchester City against Gladbach on FOX Sports Net instead. As a result, the originally scheduled FOX Soccer Plus match between Brugge and Leicester City has been removed from US television altogether and will only be shown on FOX Soccer 2GO.

Second, FOX Sports is showing amateur golf on FOX Sports 1, so that means the highest profile game today (Real Madrid vs. Sporting Lisbon) is on FOX Sports 2, which limits the amount of TV channels FOX Sports has to show UEFA Champions League matches.

The obstacle for many soccer fans in the United States is that they (1) either don’t have access to FOX Soccer Plus or (2) don’t want to pay $19.95 per month for a channel that has very limited appeal to soccer fans.

To make matters worse, the golf program that FOX Sports is airing on FS1 is a mid-amateur semi-finals, which is a championship for post-college golfers who are not pursuing golf as a career. According to FOX Sports presenter Rob Stone, the network has to broadcast the golf program for contractual reasons.

The best solution for soccer fans is a free 7-day trial to FOX Soccer 2GO, which features every single UEFA Champions League match live and on-demand no matter if there’s any last minute TV programming changes or not. Plus, FOX Soccer 2GO has the Europa League, FA Cup, Bundesliga, Copa Libertadores, MLS and many other leagues/tournaments.

While no one could have expected the Manchester City match to be postponed yesterday, FOX Sports could have done a much better job at communicating the changes yesterday instead of today. Plus, at the same time, the decision to sign a contract to guarantee that an amateur golf tournament would be shown on FS1 didn’t help matters at all.

What a mess.

SEE MORE: Updated schedule of Champions League matches on US TV and streaming

200+ Channels With Sports & News
  • Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
  • Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
  • Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
  • Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
  • Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
  • Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
  • Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
  • Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
  • Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
  • Price: $4.99/mo
  • Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
  • Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
  • Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
  • Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
  • Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
44 Comments

44 Comments

1. Carmensop

October 18, 2016 at 3:53 pm

I am soo mad you guys dont even bother to show the Borussia Dortmund game today even if recorded later…its only on Oct.25

2. Patrick

September 15, 2016 at 3:25 pm

Hi Christopher,
    Do you know why the FOX Sports Go app for live only games does not exist anymore? Impossible to download this app at the Windows Store. So you pay for cable and cannot watch Fox Sports on your laptop!

• Christopher Harris

September 15, 2016 at 3:54 pm

FOX recently updated the app for Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/fox-sports-go/9wzdncrdbvml

If that doesn’t work, try watching it via your browser from http://www.foxsportsgo.com

• Patrick

September 16, 2016 at 9:27 am

Hi Christopher, thanks for the info.
        Your first link (Microsoft): it says ‘get the app’, and then it says ‘Fox Sports Go is not currently available’.
        Your second link, first you do the login with your cable company, and then you can see many small screens with LOADING on each screen, but nothing happens. I tried with 2 different browsers (Chrome and Firefox).
        What is going on with Fox Sports?

• Christopher Harris

September 16, 2016 at 10:15 am

Sorry about that Patrick. FOX Sports GO must be having issues with Windows right now. Your best bet is to contact FOX Sports GO’s helpdesk via Twitter at https://twitter.com/FOXSportsGOHelp to see if they can help resolve the issue.

• Patrick

September 16, 2016 at 12:38 pm

Thanks Christopher. Hope they will resolve this issue soon! If you could help on your side too I would appreciate.

3. R Swick

September 15, 2016 at 2:21 pm

US based Leicester fans are livid given that they could not watch their club’s first CL game ever (Which they won handidly), but instead were forced to watch yet another Spurs collapse.

• Ben

September 16, 2016 at 3:49 am

Wow 4 fans are upset they could not watch their team.

4. Ben

September 15, 2016 at 1:37 am

As a Spurs fan, there are no words needed, Just thank goodness they did not get the Premier League rights…

5. Rob

September 14, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Why wasn’t FX or the Fox business channel a option? NBCSN puts games on USA or CNBC when they have to broadcast other sports program for contractual reasons. Same old FOX.

6. Troy Geyer

September 14, 2016 at 4:18 pm

I planned my whole day around watching the match, changing it at the last minute is rude, disrespectful to your customers time and irresponsible. Horrible decision.

7. Danny

September 14, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Ouch. Record setting attendance for Tottenham, big match for them. Fox, it is bad business to jerk your customers around at the last minute like this. I won’t pay ANOTHER $15 per month in addition to the $150+ per month I already pay for mega sports package. Enough already. Give us FS Plus free next time you jerk around your customers like this.

8. Duke Montgomery

September 14, 2016 at 2:34 pm

Thankfully I get FSP as part of my sports package, along with Deportes. I’m lucky to enjoy FS2, FSP and the Deportes feed on my AppleTV on the newly launched FoxSportsGo app and the mosaic function to watch all 3 split screen. Sadly my local FSN isn’t available on the app, but I can DVR it.

Also, there’s a listing in Fox Sports Go for FS1 subs for “UCL Bonus Feed: MatchDay Instant Highlights”. While that’s not the same listing as yesterday’s wrap-around coverage, I am hoping it’s something similar.

9. ecoast7

September 14, 2016 at 2:24 pm

This is an overall Spurs and British CL attendance setting match!

Man City don’t even sell half their seats for CL matches!

Fox Sports – shame on you!

10. Pinkfloydzar

September 14, 2016 at 2:18 pm

Par for the course i guess. Hopefully they don’t mess with the re-play. Oh yeah, Hey Fox, PLEASE STOP showing the results of games in the Sports Ticker at the bottom of the screen when watching tape delayed games.
    Defeats the purpose of the replay if you know the final score in 3rd minute!! Genius

11. Colonel Sam Flagg

September 14, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Frankly, this is a real crap move from Fox. Not only cravenly changing the schedule to accomodate the lower qualifying team, but not bumping to an alternate channel, offering a replay broadcast, or telling anyone. People who have trusted Fox’s long set schedule, and set their DVRs for one of the most important games for their team, as now left in the cold.

Not cool at all, Fox. And does nothing for loyalty and trust of your brand of football coverage for the future.

12. broseph

September 14, 2016 at 1:24 pm

instead of complaining, shouldn’t you be at work?

• TiLoBrown

September 14, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I watch AT work. I’m sure some others do as well

13. pbro

September 14, 2016 at 12:59 pm

Can someone please give me a contact (email or preferably phone number) to fox soccer and/or fox sports HQ? I NEED to call and complain. THIS IS RIDICULOUS

14. Nosferatu

September 14, 2016 at 12:35 pm

I was actually looking forward to seeing Leicester in their first Champions League game and had set my DVR to record it. And had set the DVR to record the Spurs game on replay later on Fox Soccer because it wasn’t listed as airing on MSG (FSN equivalent) today. Would be nice to see them update the full schedule for replays and everything today so I could make adjustments. Oh well.

15. Sharon Lynn

September 14, 2016 at 12:22 pm

“(2) don’t want to pay $19.95 per month for a channel that has very limited appeal to soccer fans.”

I’ve got FoxSoccer2Go last year and i absolutely loved it. Im not sure what this limited appeal to soccer fans means. While its not perfect on devices, and it doesnt have an AppleTv App, it has a crazy volume of football from CL to Champions League to Bundesliga to FA cup to SA stuff I dont even pay attention to. Oh and its Alexi Lawless free which is a massive to me cos he ruins broadcasts. I watch it and NBCsports the most. I just renewed my sub for another year, making it $8 a year. I get my moneys worth for as you say has limited appeal to soccer fans.

• Christopher Harris

September 14, 2016 at 12:26 pm

Hi Sharon, what I meant is that there are very few soccer games on FOX Soccer Plus that aren’t shown on FS1 and FS2. With FOX Soccer Plus, there’s the Scottish Premiership, Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamerica, etc – but I would argue that those leagues and competitions have less appeal than what FOX provides on FS1, FS2 and FSN.

• SecretDishShill

September 14, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I can make the same argument for all those Sling subs you try and push. 🙂

16. Rob

September 14, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Are they actually going to get higher ratings for the Man City game if no one even knows it’s on? Fox is terrible.

17. Brian

September 14, 2016 at 12:05 pm

I’ve stopped being surprised by anything Fox does. They are second-class in everything they do. The people that run Fox Sports don’t have a clue about what viewers want.

Every other sports network has free online content. Fox insists you pay an exorbitant fee for focsoccer2go. That says it all.

• Chris

September 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm

They already have a free (if you have a cable subscription) app, Fox Sports Go. That’s what the game should be on, not their rip off soccer app. My cable subscription pays for access to the sports app. Like NBC, the game should be on the free app.

18. crimmy

September 14, 2016 at 11:54 am

4th place bumps 3rd place who totally bumps 1st place. Makes perfect sense.

• Pep

September 14, 2016 at 12:13 pm

Understand the frustration, but it’s solely based on which matches they think will draw the most viewers. If they think more people will watch MCFC, they’ll put on MCFC.

• Chris

September 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I agree that’s what Fox thinks, but there is zero evidence that MCFC is more popular than Tottenham in the U.S. In fact, I’d argue that Spurs are at least “as” popular, if not more so.

• Pep

September 14, 2016 at 12:51 pm

Man City has a very well known manager, has won 2 recent league titles, and is full of international stars. Sure, Spurs are popular, but more people in the US would watch Man City v any Bundesliga team (especially a team who will likely start a US international player) than would watch Spurs v Monaco. Fox has a lot invested in making the right choice. They just pissed off a lot of Spurs fans, but they’re not stupid.

• Chris

September 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

I would say they are very stupid, as it’s not like the MCFC game is on an easily accessible station. How many of these “Fox Sports Net” stations are actually carrying the game? My local one isn’t.

• Pep

September 14, 2016 at 12:53 pm

And Fox has PLENTY of evidence — TV ratings of Man City matches in the US vs. Spurs matches.

• crimmy

September 14, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I get their reasoning, but I question their judgment and execution in a multitude of ways re: timing, eyeballs, communication, etc. Their track record makes this bungling less of a surprise.

• Mark

September 14, 2016 at 1:34 pm

This is going to be a great game. What a travesty.

• pbro

September 14, 2016 at 12:42 pm

This is the first time Spurs have been in the CL for 5-6 years. Every fan will be watching. The same can’t be said for City. I hate Fox Sports so much!

19. Purdman

September 14, 2016 at 11:28 am

Is fox sports net a channel?

• Fsquid

September 14, 2016 at 11:42 am

Fox Sports Net means the Regionals like Fox Sports Southeast, Fox Sports Midwest, etc.

• Purdman

September 14, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Do we have that in NYC? Is it Yes network?

• Purdman

September 14, 2016 at 12:04 pm

really want to watch this MCFC match

• Nosferatu

September 14, 2016 at 12:28 pm

I believe MSG or MSG+ takes the Fox Sports Net games, although for some reason today they weren’t actually listed on my guide as airing the Spurs game. Maybe that’ll change with the City game on there instead?

• Purdman

September 14, 2016 at 1:07 pm

thanks I suppose I will just DVR all the channels and hope one of them shows my beloved MCFC

20. garwilly

September 14, 2016 at 11:15 am

Well that’s Fox Sports for you, but I have been watching on ESPN 3 and watchespn app on my Xbox one and phone. I don’t have have Fox Sports plus and the Fox Sports app is useless and packed with bugs, I just deleted it and don’t even waste my time.

• Christopher Harris

September 14, 2016 at 11:19 am

The thing that stinks is that the Spurs game isn’t on ESPN3 today unfortunately.