Paris (AFP) – Ten-man Lyon crashed to a first home defeat at Parc OL as Bordeaux provisionally moved top of Ligue 1 on Saturday by coming from behind to claim a 3-1 victory.
Aldo Kalulu marked his first appearance of the season for Lyon with the opening goal inside two minutes, but Brazilian teenager Malcom replied for Bordeaux on the half hour.
Lyon captain Maxime Gonalons was sent off for a reckless challenge on the Bordeaux goalscorer midway through the second half, and the visitors took full advantage as Gregory Sertic headed the visitors in front.
Jeremy Menez then sealed a third victory in four games for Jocelyn Gourvennec’s side in the dying stages with his first goal for his new club.
For Lyon, who were without Clement Grenier, Mathieu Valbuena and Nabil Fekir, it was their first loss suffered at their new home since it opened in January, and a second straight in the league following a shock 4-2 defeat at promoted Dijon last time out.
Alexandre Lacazette, who hobbled off at half-time during the Dijon debacle, shook off a knee injury to feature in a front three that included Rachid Ghezzal for the first time this term after a summer of stalled contract extension talks and rumours of a move away.
The hosts enjoyed a dream start as Kalulu was the beneficiary of a fortunate deflection, the youngster tapping in after Sergi Darder’s attempted pass rolled invitingly into his path.
Mouctar Diakhaby, deputising in central defence, went close to doubling Lyon’s lead on 22 minutes when Cedric Carrasso tipped the youngster’s acrobatic effort onto the crossbar.
But Malcom drove a left-footed strike from the edge of the area to draw Bordeaux level on 33 minutes.
The 19-year-old was then left writhing around in agony after Gonalons caught him badly with a poor challenge that prompted the Lyon midfielder’s dismissal on 67 minutes.
And Bordeaux were ahead just four minutes later as Sertic glanced home a free-kick for his first goal in over two years, having missed most of the last campaign through injury.
The afternoon lurched from bad to worse for Lyon as Lacazette, the league’s leading scorer, limped off before the end with more injury problems, leaving his status for Wednesday’s Champions League clash with Dinamo Zagreb uncertain.
Menez then completed a miserable afternoon for Lyon in the 90th minute as his deflected strike looped in.
On Friday, Paris Saint-Germain conceded an injury-time equaliser as they warmed up for their Champions League clash next week against Arsenal with a disappointing 1-1 home draw with Saint-Etienne.
The big-spending Parisians looked set to top Ligue 1 thanks to a second-half Lucas penalty, but Robert Beric popped up in the second minute of added-on time to somehow eke out an unlikely point for the visitors.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Where to find Chelsea vs Spurs in Canada on TV
- Where to find Nottingham Forest vs. West Ham on US TV
- Where to find Almeria vs. Real Madrid on US TV
- Where to find Bayern Munich vs. Wolfsburg on US TV
- Where to find Chelsea vs. Spurs on US TV
- Where to find Kilmarnock vs. Celtic on US TV
- Ten Hag given baptism of fire to Man Utd’s new reality
- New-look Barca frustrated by Rayo in season opener
- Champions Milan off to winning start, Dumfries steals show for Inter
- Neymar scores brace, Mbappe on target in PSG victory