Zurich (AFP) – FIFA’s ethics committee has recommended former German FA secretary general Helmut Sandrock be fined 50,000 Swiss francs (45,800 euros, $51,700) following an investigation into the awarding of the 2006 World Cup to Germany, world football’s governing body said Thursday.
In a final report submitted by FIFA’s investigatory chamber, the body called for Sandrock to perform “social work to be determined by the adjudicatory chamber” and to be fined for violations of FIFA’s code of ethics.
However, Sandrock may request a hearing before a final decision is made by the adjudicatory chamber, the ethics committee said in a statement.
An investigation was launched in March targeting six people — including German football legend Franz Beckenbauer and former German FA president Wolfgang Niersbach — over their roles in the bidding that awarded the 2006 World Cup to Germany.
Sandrock, who resigned from his post last February, served as tournament director for the 2006 World Cup organising committee chaired by Beckenbauer.
Last week Swiss federal prosecutors announced they had opened criminal proceedings against Beckenbauer, 70, along with three other members of the 2006 World Cup organising committee — Horst Rudolf Schmidt, Theo Zwanziger and Niersbach.
The quartet are being investigated over allegations of fraud, criminal mismanagement, money laundering and misappropriation.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- What it’s like watching the Premier League from Hawaii
- Ineos billionaire Ratcliffe ‘potential buyer’ of Man Utd
- Mendy rape accuser tells UK court she tried to fight off footballer
- Man Utd legend Giggs cites disciplinary record in assault trial
- Christian Pulisic’s ominous, but necessary, move to Man United
- Sevilla sign youngster Nianzou from Bayern
- Ronaldo cautioned by police after allegedly slapping phone from fan’s hand
- PSG defender Kehrer joins West Ham
- Dubai airport gears up to handle World Cup supporters
- Ronaldo blasts ‘lies’ over Man Utd future