Mérida (Venezuela) (AFP) – Nicolas Otamendi scored a late equalizer as Argentina fought back from 2-0 down to snatch a 2-2 draw against Venezuela in South America’s 2018 World Cup qualifying tournament.
Manchester City defender Otamendi popped up in the 83rd minute to steer home a whipped in corner by Angel Di Maria to complete a dramatic turnaround by the Argentines at a rainswept Estadio Metropolitano in Merida.
Otamendi’s leveler came after Lucas Pratto had pulled a goal back after goals from Juanpi Anor and Josef Martinez put Venezuela 2-0 up.
Argentina, missing their injured captain Lionel Messi, as well as Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain and Paulo Dybala, were always struggling to reproduce the sort of incisive form that accounted for Uruguay in last week’s win.
Venezuela took the lead after 35 minutes when Malaga livewire Juanpi skipped clear of his marker outside the Argentina area and lashed a shot into the top corner.
The Vinotinto held onto the advantage to halftime and then doubled their lead on 53 minutes with a goal that owed everything to the physicality of Salomon Rondon.
The West Bromwich Albion striker outmuscled Otamendi to win an aerial challenge, turned and sprinted in on goal.
Rondon then unselfishly laid off to Torino forward Martinez, who took his time before wrong-footing Sergio Romero with a cool finish.
Argentina pulled a goal back through Pratto in the 58th minute, the Atletico Mineiro forward bundling home from close range to give the visitors hope.
Venezuela — with only one point from their first seven games — looked like they were on course for their first win of the campaign as Argentina struggled to penetrate their defense.
But with the clock winding down, Di Maria’s wicked corner was turned in by Otamendi and Argentina had secured a share of the points.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Willian leaves Corinthians following death threats
- Seven-time winner Messi misses out on Ballon d’Or nomination
- EPL commentators on NBC: August 13 to 15
- Rush from potential tenants for Cruyff’s boyhood home
- Tottenham boss Conte relishing heated Chelsea challenge
- Haaland’s will to win impresses Guardiola
- Benzema, Courtois and De Bruyne nominated for UEFA award
- Serbia’s Kostic completes Juventus move
- Ten Hag does not want to lose Rashford at Man Utd
- Tuchel reveals ‘bond’ with Aubameyang amid Chelsea rumours