London (AFP) – Ragnar Sigurdsson, one of the stars of Iceland’s Euro 2016 campaign, has signed for Fulham from Russian side Krasnodar, the English second-tier club announced on Tuesday.
Sigurdsson played a starring role in Iceland’s stunning 2-1 win over England in the last 16 at Euro 2016, scoring his side’s opening goal and being voted man of the match.
The 30-year-old centre-back has signed a two-year contract, with an option for a further year, and arrives for an undisclosed fee.
“I’m just very happy and relieved that the deal is done,” Sigurdsson said in a video interview on the Fulham website.
“I’ve seen Fulham many times on TV, when they were in the Premier League. It’s a good club and it’s in London. It has everything.
“I’ve always wanted to play in England and I think that this is the perfect place to start and show what I can do.”
Sigurdsson’s Iceland team-mate Eidur Gudjohnsen, the former Chelsea and Barcelona player, tweeted: “Congrats @FulhamFC you have just signed “a beast” of a player in @sykurinn!!!”
Fulham are currently in fifth place in the Championship after four games of the season.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, FS1, FS2, Univision, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $4.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ