NBC Sports’ coverage of the 2016/17 Premier League season began with a downer on the opening day when Microsoft Windows 10 and Xbox One users discovered they were unable to use the NBC Sports App to watch the world’s most exciting soccer league.
The NBC Sports App, previously named NBC Sports Live Extra, allows soccer fans in the United States to stream every single game of the Premier League season to computers, smartphones, gaming consoles, Roku and other over-the-top devices. The NBC Sports App was recently updated to work on Windows 10. However, the NBC Sports App for Windows 10 and Xbox One doesn’t work for Premier League games, although it does work for Olympic coverage.
On the opening day of the season, soccer fans unable to watch Premier League games with the NBC Sports App flocked to social media to air their frustrations that they were unable to watch their favorite team online. The Windows 10 software runs on personal computers, but also on tablets and the Xbox One gaming console. The NBC Sports App does work on Windows 10 mobile however.
According to a NBC Sports spokesperson, the NBC Sports App’s coverage of the Premier League does not support the Windows 10 and Xbox One platforms, but they are working to do so in the future.
The news that an update is being worked on won’t appease many fans expecting the NBC Sports App to be fixed as soon as possible especially since the Olympics won’t be over until the end of August, and NBC Sports hasn’t given a date of when to expect the app to be fixed for the Premier League.
The fact that the NBC Sports App doesn’t support Windows 10 and Xbox One is ironic given that one of NBC’s sponsors (see screengrab above) during coverage of the Premier League is Microsoft’s Surface Pro 4, which runs Windows 10.
Solutions? One recommendation is for Windows 10 and/or Xbox One users to consider buying a Roku stick, which can be purchased for $40. As long as you subscribe to NBCSN and CNBC through your TV provider, you’ll be able to watch the games on your Roku (and on your TV). The other solution is to hope that your favorite team will be shown on TV and/or Premier League Extra Time so you won’t miss a match.
You can also buy a Google Chromecast ($35), plug it into your Xbox One HDMI, download the NBC Sports App on your phone and then log in and cast the games from your phone to your Xbox One console.
The last option is to check to see if you have the old NBC Sports Live Extra app installed on your Windows 10 machine. If so, it should be able to play Premier League games on it instead of the NBC Sports App version.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more