Berlin (AFP) – Schalke’s new signing Coke is expected to miss the rest of 2016 after the Spanish right-back suffered suspected torn cruciate knee ligaments in a pre-season friendly.
The Bundesliga club are waiting on an exact diagnosis to hear how long they will be without the Spanish defender, full name Jorge Andujar Moreno but known as Coke, who suffered the injury in Thursday’s 2-1 win over Bologna.
Sporting director Christian Heidel says the ligament in his right knee is “at least torn” and that the player may not return until January.
“He’ll be out until the second half of the season at the latest, hopefully sooner,” added Heidel.
“It depends on whether he needs an operation or not.”
Coke only signed last Wednesday from Europa League winners Sevilla for a reported three million euros ($3.3m).
Schalke finished fifth in the table last season and have qualified for the Europa League, which Coke won three times with Sevilla.
They begin the new Bundesliga season on August 27 away to Eintracht Frankfurt.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $69.99/mo. for Entertainment package
- Watch World Cup, Euro 2024 & MLS
- Includes ESPN, ESPN2, FS1 + local channels
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Netherlands looks to snap World Cup dud at Qatar 2022
- Lukaku expected in Milan ‘this evening’ ahead of Inter return: CEO
- French minister apologises for Champions League chaos
- Where to find Corinthians vs. Boca Juniors on US TV
- Where to find USWNT vs. Colombia on US TV
- LAFC confirms 12-month Bale deal with options through 2024
- Barcelona unveils 2022/23 away kit to honor Olympics anniversary
- Favre new Nice coach as Galtier in PSG talks
- Gabriel Jesus signing helps Mikel Arteta’s aims at Arsenal
- Turkish Süper Lig rights renewed by beIN SPORTS