Brussels (AFP) – Former Everton and Wigan coach Spaniard Roberto Martinez has been given the enviable task of leading Belgium’s multi-talented national side to the 2018 World Cup in Russia, The Belgian federation said Wednesday.
The 43-year-old Spaniard known for building flair sides with a penchant for attack, takes over from the unpopular coach Marc Wilmots, who was fired after a quarter-finals elimination by Wales at Euro 2016.
2006 World Cup winning coach Marcelo Lippi applied for the job, as did recently fired Roma coach Rudi Garcia, so the appointment of Martinez comes as a surprise.
Belgium’s battering ram striker Romelu Lukaku played under Martinez at Everton while ‘keeper Thibaut Courtois and attacking midfielders Eden Hazard and Kevin De Bruyne are the envy of many international managers.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family