Since the summer transfer window opened in 2012, the Gunners have brought 29 total players into the fold. Of these 29 players to arrive at the Emirates, let’s take a look at the five top performers during this timeframe. The compiled list below is not rated by transfer fees, but by performance on the pitch. (Note: Granit Xhaka was not included in this list because he has yet to feature for the Gunners. Listed transfer fees are estimated reported costs).
5 – Santi Cazorla – £15 million – Summer 2012
Prior to Cazorla’s arrival from Malaga in 2012, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger famously claimed to have never heard of the Spain international. Less than two weeks later, Cazorla was a Gunner. The versatile player began his Arsenal career as a winger and attacking midfielder, and was even awarded as Arsenal’s player of the season in his freshman campaign in north London. During his four seasons with the Gunners, Cazorla has racked up 27 goals and 42 assists.
4 – Olivier Giroud – £10 million – Summer 2012
Yes, Olivier Giroud is regularly on the receiving end of plenty of jokes, but his overall goal output is no laughing matter. The France international has netted an impressive 82 goals (as well as 34 assists) in 187 total matches with Arsenal. While Giroud may not be “world class,” he is certainly a very capable center forward. His link up play with teammates is as good as any other player in the Premier League, and for the price in which the Gunners paid for his services, Giroud has represented fantastic value.
3 – Petr Cech – £10 million – Summer 2015
Cech shocked the soccer world when he asked then Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to make the switch to rivals Arsenal last summer. Prior to the 2015/16 campaign, the Gunners biggest weakness was in goal. Cech changed this weakness into a strength the moment he arrived to the club. Although he was 33-years-old when he transferred to north London, Cech had a superb debut season with Arsenal. The now former Czech Republic international won the Premier League Golden Glove award with 16 clean sheets in 34 league matches played.
2 – Mesut Özil – £42.5 million – Summer 2013
Arsenal’s most expensive signing in their history, Özil is widely considered as one of the best number 10’s in the world. In his three seasons with the Gunners, the Germany international has scored 20 goals and picked up 43 assists. Özil led the Premier League, and was just one shy of tying Thierry Henry’s record, with 19 assists in 35 league games this past season. Along with leading the league in assists during the 2015/16 campaign, Özil also topped the Premier League in chances created, key passes and through balls.
1 – Alexis Sanchez – £30 million – Summer 2014
While a strong case could have been made for Özil to be number one, Alexis Sanchez tops this list. Sanchez has not only racked up statistics, 42 goals and 23 assists in just 93 matches with Arsenal, but he’s also been given numerous awards for his performances on the pitch. The Chile international was voted into the 2014/15 PFA Team of the Year, the 2014/15 PFA Fans’ Player of the Year, and the Arsenal Player of the Season during the same year. Despite costing a reported £30 million, Sanchez has been an absolutely steal of deal for the Gunners so far.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family