Conakry (AFP) – Guinea have appointed their caretaker coach Mohamed Kanfory Bangoura on a permanent basis and charged him with qualifying them for their first World Cup.
Bangoura, known commonly as Lappe Bangoura, was chosen ahead of highly-rated Belgian coach Paul Put and German journeyman Gernot Rohr.
Since Luis Fernandez quit the post in May Guinea negotiated a second World Cup 2018 qualifying round for one of the five African qualifying spots for Russia 2018.
They have been drawn alongside Tunisia, Democratic Republic of Congo and Libya in a final round robin qualifying group where the group winner qualifies for the World Cup finals.
Also on the agenda is a final qualifying match with Zimbabwe at Conakry on September 4 for a place in the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations in Gabon next January.
Guinea central defender and Saint Etienne player Florentin Pogba, the elder brother of France star Paul Pogba, is the Guinea national team captain.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family