London (AFP) – Prolific Dutch international striker Vincent Janssen signed for English Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur on Tuesday from AZ Alkmaar for a reported fee of £17 million ($22.3m, 20.1m euros), the buying club announced.
The 22-year-old — well known to English football fans having scored in a 2-1 friendly win over England in March this year — signed a four-year contract.
“We are delighted to announce the signing of Vincent Janssen from AZ Alkmaar, subject to international clearance,” read a statement from Spurs.
“The striker has signed a contract with the club until 2020.”
Janssen, who finished top-scorer in the Dutch league last term with 27 goals and won the Johan Cruyff trophy for young player of the year which future Spurs team-mate Christian Eriksen won when at Ajax, joins Kenyan midfield enforcer Victor Wanyama as fresh faces at Spurs.
Manager Mauricio Pochettino has been strengthening the squad for the twin challenges of the title race — having finished third last term — and the Champions League.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season