Paris (AFP) – The doping case that caused Mamadou Sakho to miss Euro 2016 was “horrendous” for the defender, the French football president said Tuesday, days after the Liverpool man was cleared.
Noel Le Graet told reporters that the centre-back “wants to get back playing as soon as possible without talking about the case”.
He added: “It’s been horrendous. Without (the case) he would certainly have been part of the 23-man squad.”
Sakho was left out of France’s European Championship squad after he tested positive for a fat-burning product following a Europa League tie against Manchester United in March.
He served an initial 30-day suspension that was not extended when it expired in late May as UEFA launched an investigation into whether the substance Sakho took should be on the banned list.
UEFA dismissed the case against Sakho on Friday, just two days before the Euro 2016 final in which Portugal beat hosts France 1-0.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
110+ channels, live & on-demand
- Price: $59.95/mo. for Plus Package
- Includes FOX, FS1, ESPN, TUDN & more
- 2023 Women’s World Cup tickets go on sale from October 6th
- MLS killed the TV star: A farewell to MLS regional broadcast crews
- 5 fundamental questions MLS must answer before Apple TV launch
- Study shows Premier League clubs hit hardest by injuries
- Todd Boehly in talks to purchase Portuguese club
- Qatar affirms COVID-19 tests requirements ahead of World Cup
- Cristiano Ronaldo should have taken outrageous Saudi offer
- FIFA 23 needs to focus on things beyond Ted Lasso
- Barcelona VP says Messi return would be ‘possible financially’
- Brands hoping World Cup boosts Gen Z interest in soccer