Los Angeles (AFP) – Robbie Keane scored his second goal in as many games as the Los Angeles Galaxy defeated the Seattle Sounders 1-0 to maintain their Major League Soccer playoff push on Saturday.
Irish international Keane, who scored a stunning goal in Monday’s victory over the Vancouver Whitecaps, rounded off a fine passing move to fire Galaxy ahead in the 15th minute at CenturyLink Field.
Seattle pressed hard for an equaliser during an entertaining second half but Los Angeles held firm.
Jordan Morris should have scored after a mix-up involving Galaxy goalkeeper Brian Rowe allowed the Seattle player a golden chance in the 53rd minute.
But Morris shot directly at the covering Galaxy defender A.J. DeLaGarza and Los Angeles survived.
US international Clint Dempsey almost leveled for Seattle in the 76th minute, but his looping header from the center of the area was tipped over by Rowe.
The victory leaves Los Angeles in third place in the MLS Western Conference standings with 29 points from 18 games.
FC Dallas lead the standings with 37 points from the Colorado Rapids with 33.
Seattle’s defeat is the latest in a miserable season for the Pacific Northwest powerhouses, who are bottom of the 10-team table with 17 points from 17 games.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ