Chicago (AFP) – US goalkeeper Hope Solo earned her 100th clean sheet in international play Saturday as the Americans defeated South Africa 1-0 in a Rio Olympics warm-up match.
The crowd of 19,272 fans at Soldier Field also saw Solo earn her 150th career win, with Crystal Dunn producing the game-winner in the 35th minute.
The US women, who are set to defend their Olympic title in Rio in August, had far more possession on the day and numerous quality scoring chances, but the South Africans certainly distinguished themselves with some organized defense, hard running and a few dangerous attacks.
The hosts broke through 10 minutes before halftime when 18-year-old Mallory Pugh set up Dunn for a close-range finish. Pugh dribbled down the left side of the box and sent a bouncing ball across the face of the goal.
Dunn was unmarked at the far post and sent a first-time shot into the net.
Solo, in her 197th match for the US, stopped both of South Africa’s shots on goal.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ