Madrid (AFP) – Three-time world player of the year Cristiano Ronaldo made new football history Wednesday by becoming the first player to score in four European Championship finals. Here are six of the Real Madrid star’s numerous scoring records:
– Goals in four European Championship finals
Ronaldo is now bearing down on French legend Michel Platini, just one off his record mark of nine goals in Euros finals.
The former Manchester United man scored twice as Portugal reached the final on home soil in 2004, just once in a disappointing quarter-final exit in 2008 and three times as A Seleccao were knocked out on penalties in the semi-finals by Spain four years ago.
– Real Madrid’s all-time top-scorer
Ronaldo’s insatiable need to find the net has already fired him into the history books of the self-styled biggest club in world football.
A remarkable strike rate of 364 goals for Los Blancos in just 348 games means Ronaldo smashed previous record holder Raul’s 323-goal mark having played over 400 fewer matches.
– Top scorer in single season in Champions League
Ronaldo failed to better his own record mark of 17 in a Champions League season despite hitting the winning penalty as Real won their 11th European Cup against rivals Atletico Madrid in Milan last month. Shootout penalties do not count in the season tally.
He set the record on home soil two years ago, also from the penalty spot, as Real saw off Atletico 4-1 after extra-time.
– Top scorer in Champions League history
In the endless debate over whether Ronaldo or Barcelona rival Lionel Messi is the greatest player of their generation, one statistic is massively in Ronaldo’s favour is Champions League goals.
His 93 in Europe’s premier club competition gives him a 10-goal lead over Messi as the Champions League’s all-time top scorer.
– First player to score 30 La Liga goals in six straight seasons
Once upon a time a 30-goal season was a rarity. Ronaldo has made it look routine.
Since an injury-disrupted first season in Madrid, his La Liga tallies have been a remarkable: 40, 46, 34, 31, 48 and 35 making him the first man to hit 30 goals or more in six consecutive La Liga seasons.
– Portugal’s top-scorer of all-time
The one honour missing from Ronaldo’s own personal trophy cabinet is a major international tournament win with Portugal.
However, he has usurped the likes of Luis Figo and Eusebio to be his country’s all-time top scorer with 59 goals from his record 128 appearances.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
- Includes NBC, USA, FOX, ESPN, CBSSN & more
Live & On Demand TV Streaming
- Price: $35/mo. for Sling Blue
- Watch Premier League, World Cup & MLS
- Includes USA, NBC, FOX, FS1 + more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
2,000+ soccer games per year
- Price: $4.99/mo
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
- Cash-strapped African clubs eagerly await Super League riches
- Real Madrid motivated ahead of Frankfurt Super Cup clash
- Raza at the controls of high-flying Zimbabwe
- Southampton has early red flags in this Premier League campaign
- Sarr both Watford’s hero and villain in West Brom draw
- Everton sign England’s Coady on season-long loan from Wolves
- Dortmund complete Modeste signing from Cologne
- Darkhorse Denmark brings recent triumphs to World Cup 2022
- Former Man Utd star Giggs accused of ‘litany of abuse’ at assault trial
- Holders Wydad Casablanca among 58 CAF Champions League hopefuls