Madrid (AFP) – Young French centre-back Aymeric Laporte extended his contract with Athletic Bilbao on Monday despite reported interest from Manchester City.
The 22-year-old added a year to his existing deal and is now tied to the Basque club until June 2020, Bilbao said in a statement on Monday.
The France under-21 captain is rumoured to be a target for new City manager Pep Guardiola.
His new deal includes an increase in his buy-out clause from 50 million euros ($56.5 million) to 65 million euros, rising to 70 million euros in two years time.
Laporte was born in Agen in the Aquitaine region of France but has Basque grandparents.
Last year he said he would consider representing Spain if he wasn’t called up by France coach Didier Deschamps for Euro 2016.
He made his debut for Bilbao, his only professional club, in 2012.
100+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $29.99/mo. for fubo Español Package
- Watch Premier League, LaLiga, Liga MX & MLS
- Includes NBC, NBCSN, ESPN, FS1, FS2, TUDN, beIN SPORTS and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch LaLiga, Primeira Liga and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $5.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $12.99/mo.)
- Features Serie A, Bundesliga, FA Cup, EFL & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $5.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Europa League & NWSL
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ