Orlando (AFP) – Two-times South American champions Paraguay were held to a goalless draw by Costa Rica in sultry conditions at the Citrus Bowl on Saturday in Copa America Centenario Group A.
Costa Rica ended the game with 10 men after defender Kendall Waston was sent off in injury time for a wild challenge on Nelson Valdez.
The result leaves Colombia, who beat the United States in Friday’s opener, alone at the top of the group with three points.
Waston will be suspended for Tuesday’s game in Chicago against the United States.
In intense heat and humidity, both sides were wary over over-exerting themselves but it was Paraguay who got an early grip on possession in front of a crowd of 14,334.
Striker Jorge Benitez, who plays his club football in Mexico for Cruz Azul, showed some excellent footwork to create space inside the box in the ninth and his low cross was almost turned into his own net by Costa Rica defender Celso Borges.
Paraguay went close again when Paulo Da Silva flashed a header wide after a well-timed run to meet a corner from Oscar Romero.
Romero, an old-fashioned style winger, entertained the crowd with some delightful touches, clever dribbling and intelligent passing, but Paraguay were unable to turn their possession and creativity into real chances.
Costa Rica, quarter-finalists in the World Cup two years ago, played a more direct style, looking to find forwards Joel Campbell and Bryan Ruiz quickly, but they were unable to find much in the way of fluidity to their play.
Ruiz was a threat with a flashing header but it went straight into the arms of Paraguay’s veteran goalkeeper Justo Villar.
At the other end, Benitez won possession inside the Costa Rica half and showed great pace as he burst goalwards, but his right foot shot flashed wide of the post.
After the break, the two sides struggled to pick up their rhythm again and it was not until the 71st minute that there was a real threat on goal when Paraguay defender Gustavo Gomez had a header from a Derlis Gonzalez corner well saved by Costa Rica keeper Patrick Pemberton.
With three minutes left, Costa Rica substitute Christian Bolanos caused Villar problems with a low shot from over 25 years out which bounced awkwardly in front of the 38-year-old keeper who pushed it wide.
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family