For the past 8 years, we’ve been graced by ESPN’s superb coverage of world-class soccer competitions on US television. At Euro 2008, it was the birth of a new soccer vision that was focused on providing intelligent discussion and coverage of the Beautiful Game, and importantly not talking down to the viewers. At World Cup 2010, ESPN’s studio set in South Africa was the perfect stage to raise the bar even higher. In 2012, ESPN’s flawless coverage of Euro 2012 featured Roberto Martinez’s exceptional analysis and on-camera presence. Last but not least, World Cup 2014 couldn’t have been better as the wall-to-wall coverage dazzled most soccer fans in the United States.
Most of the times whenever ESPN releases a promotional video for the Women’s World Cup, European Championship or FIFA World Cup, they get it right. Many of us may have fond memories of their promo videos from previous years. But with the promo video for Euro 2016, entitled More Than Football, the video grows on you. At first, it’s understated. But the more times you watch it, the more you notice the subtle things. First, it’s the anthemic soundtrack that’s one of those feel-good songs that makes you stop what you’re doing and pay attention. Second, the visuals of the players, flags and fans ensure that the focus is on what really matters — the sport. And third, the projection of iconic stars such as Gigi Buffon on French landmarks is incredible.
RT espn "More than fraternité. More than heroísmo. More than football.
UEFA Euro 2016, starting June 10 on ESPN.https://t.co/tYyeBEgEX6" …
— SportsNewsLive (@SNL_AllDay) May 26, 2016
On top of that, the icing on the cake are the slogans that ESPN have created for each of the nations that perfectly sum up the spirit of each team.
When you think about it, as the ad infers, the Euro 2016 is more than football. The competition means so much and so many different things to each country. Every country has something at stake, which is beautifully encapsulated in the slogans.
The slogans didn’t hit me right away. But when I saw the 24 Euro 2016 posters from ESPN, one for each country, the marketing/promotional campaign hit me like a ton of bricks.
Some of my favorites are Italy’s “more than passione,” Northern Ireland’s “more than a dream,” Poland’s “more than one striker” and Wales’ “more than one heart.” Each of these slogans and all of the others work seamlessly with the poster images where the words and art work together to deliver powerful messages.
And best of all, the campaign was created and developed by ESPN’s in-house marketing department.
Roll on the Euro 2016. The anticipation is already building!
25+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, Liga MX, MLS & World Cup
- Includes ESPN, FOX, Univision, TUDN and more
Favorite Leagues At The Best Price
- Starting price: $7.99/mo. for Live TV Package
- Watch Argentine league, Brasileirāo and Copa Libertadores
- Includes beIN SPORTS, GolTV, TyC Sports and more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $6.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, Copa del Rey & more
- Also includes daily ESPN FC news & highlights show
Live TV, Soccer & Originals
- Starting price: $4.99/mo.
- Features Champions League, Serie A, Europa League & more
- Includes CBS, Star Trek & CBS Sports HQ
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season
- Includes Premier League TV channel plus movies, TV shows & more
Get All 3 And Save 30%
- $13.99/mo. for ESPN+, Disney+ & Hulu
- Includes Bundesliga, LaLiga, NHL & the home to UFC
- Features Marvel, Star Wars + shows & movies for your entire family