Madrid (AFP) – Espanyol escaped relegation from La Liga this season but have decided against prolonging the contract of Constantin Galca, the interim coach that saved them, the Spanish club said on Friday.
Galca took over from Sergio Gonzalez last December with the club mired in a relegation struggle, and eventually lifted them to a 13th place finish, five points above relegation.
The former Espanyol midfielder’s contract runs through until June 30 but the club said on Friday they would not prolong his stay.
Outgoing coach at relegated Rayo Vallecano Paco Jemez, recently sacked Watford coach Quique Sanchez Flores and former Marseille handler Michel are all thought to be potential replacements.
200+ Channels With Sports & News
- Starting price: $33/mo. for fubo Latino Package
- Watch Premier League, World Cup, Euro 2024 & more
Many Sports & ESPN Originals
- Price: $9.99/mo. (or get ESPN+, Hulu & Disney+ for $13.99/mo.)
- Features Bundesliga, LaLiga, Championship, & more
175 Premier League Games & PL TV
- Starting price: $4.99/mo. for Peacock Premium
- Watch 175 exclusive EPL games per season